Ryan Top Dress Hack

After a few others took the Ryan Top and lengthened it into a dress, I knew I needed to do the same. I'm in love. The Ryan Top is generally a super quick sew thanks to the lack of set-in sleeves and minimal pattern pieces  -- but now as a dress..I'm excited for the possibilities! 

My first experiment with the hack was with a cotton lawn by Liberty of London. By simply adding a few inches to the hem, I had a Ryan Dress!

Typically when you alter length in a sewing pattern, you see the pattern adjustment line somewhere around the waist line. But because this dress has a square and straight hem, I went the lazy route and just added around 12" straight down from the hem, following the line of the side seam. I found that 12" was a little long, BUT really liked the look of a deep 2-3" hem. 

After the success of the first hack, I quickly decided to do another. This time, I went with a gray double gauze fabric from my mom's shop. SO, so happy with this one. Sometimes a fabric is just made for a sewing pattern.

I'm thinking linen and maybe a chambray version next. I'm interested in adding in-seam pockets and maybe even patch pockets to the front. We'll see!